A spectacular 9 day tour
(7 days of cycling) in the Scottish Highlands!
Approximately 125 km and 1,400 meters per day.
Suitable for the 'Avid' rider (it's hilly!).
Scotland is full of surprises and the Northcoast 500 will send you home with a host of memories that surpass your expectations of this barren land. Our route largely follows the Scottish Tourist Board 500 mile route (but it’s better ;) and takes in some tough climbs and beautiful mountain passes. This tour is designed with the ‘avid’ rider in mind (please see rider types) as it has some testing terrain and the added uncertainty of changeable weather conditions too! We recommend you come prepared.
Price - £1,100 Per Person Sharing. Some single rooms are available for an additional supplement of £440.
What is included in the tour
- Transfer to start from Inverness Airport
- Transfer at finish to Inverness Airport
- 8 nights bed and breakfast in good hotels
- Lunches on at least two of the cycling days
- Suggested coffee and lunch stops (where not provided)
- Van support with snacks
- Support from an experienced Scottish crew with local knowledge
- GPX files of the route
- Daily briefings
- Route profiles with maps
- Baggage transfer
- Mechanical assistance and repairs
- Emergency pickup
- Final group meal
What is NOT included in the tour
- Lunch and coffee stops. These will be provided on at least two of the days in remote areas. On other days you will be given some recommendations of where you may wish to refuel!
- Evening meals - Our stopovers all have reasonably priced restaurants and pubs nearby and most of the hotels have good dining. Breakfast IS included and lunch on some days
- Optional trips / entry fees for any excursions you arrange independently
- Insurance - you need to organise your own bike and travel insurance as required
- Gels, high energy bars, energy powder and shakes - bring your own as per what works best for you and your tummy!
- Muir of Ord Whisky distillery (we do pass many others but we have incorporated ‘tasting time’ here into Day One)
- The infamous climb up Beelach Na Ba to Applecross
- Lochinver Larder - The World Famous Scottish Pie Shop
- The Lochinver Pass
- Smoo Cave
- Sandside Bay and the nearby world famous beaches of Achmelvich, Clachtoll, Oldshoremore and Sandwood Bay
- Loch Loyal
- EU funded Timber Haulage Route from Thurso
- The ‘Falls of Shin’ at Lairg
- Johnny Foxes Bar in Inverness (We start and end here. You may remember the start)
Our route largely follows the Scottish Tourist Board 500 mile route (but it’s better!) and takes in some tough climbs and beautiful mountain passes. This tour is designed with the ‘avid’ rider in mind (please see rider types) as it has some testing terrain and with the added uncertainty of the weather conditions up here and their tendency to change dramatically in no time at all we recommend that you’ve done, or are at least prepared to do, the odd ride in inclement conditions before.
- Day 1 - Arrive Inverness (no cycling)
- Day 2 - Inverness to Strathcarron 100 kilometers 640 meters
- Day 3 - Strathcarron to Gairloch 116 km 1,700 m
- Day 4 - Gairloch to Ullapool 108 km 1,400 m
- Day 5 - Ullapool to Durness 147 km 2,200 m
- Day 6 - Durness to Thurso 115 km 1,400 m
- Day 7 - Thurso to Lairg 146 km 1,000 m
- Day 8 - Lairg to Inverness 138 km 900 m
- Day 9 - Depart Inverness (no cycling)
The tour starts at the Glenmoriston Townhouse Hotel in Inverness, Scotland on the first date of the advertised tour with a detailed briefing in the afternoon. We then prepare our bikes and spend the night in the Glenmoriston Townhouse Hotel . This first night is included in the price of the tour. We begin cycling the next morning.
From Inverness Airport
If required, we can provide transfers to the Glenmoriston Townhouse Hotel for you, your bike and your luggage from Inverness Airport. There is an extra supplement of £20 per person for this.
Please contact us if you have other travel requirements you wish to discuss and we will do our best to assist!
Departing at the End
The tour finishes at the same hotel we started - the Glenmoriston Townhouse Hotel, Inverness on the last date of the advertised tour. We will have a finishing meal and celebration. This is included in the price of the tour along with a final night's accommodation. The next morning you can depart at your leisure. Transfers to Inverness Airport will be provided.