Circumnavigate N. Ireland in 8 Days.
Approximately 90 km and 1,000 meters per day.
Suitable for the 'Active' rider.
Join us on an epic cycle challenge in the very best locations around the whole of Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland has seen an explosion of interest in recent years. There is a positive vibe about the place and a legion of sites to experience along the route and in the evenings. We have kept the distance to around 90 km (55 mi) each day with shorter options of 70 km (45 mi). The duration is eight nights with eight days’ cycling.
We have crafted the route to ensure your time is spent in only the areas with fantastic cycling and great scenery.
Price - £1,240 Per Person Sharing. Some single rooms are available for an additional supplement of £360.
What is included in the tour
- Transfers to start and from finish
- Eight nights’ accommodation in good quality hotels
- Strangford Lough ferry fare
- Luggage transfer each day
- Hearty Irish breakfast!
- Lunch - In a pub, restaurant or café, or sometimes picnic style
- Vehicle support
- Snacks and drinks all day!
- Rider pickup
- Mechanical support
- Spare parts
- Route information - GPX files and daily route profile sheets
What is NOT included in the tour
- Morning coffee stops - we will recommend places to stop at morning briefing and these will be marked on the profile sheets also
- Evening meals - Our stopovers all have reasonably priced restaurants and pubs nearby and most of the hotels have good dining. Breakfast and lunch IS included
- Optional trips / entry fees for any excursions you arrange independently
- Insurance - you need to organise your own bike and travel insurance as required
- Gels, high energy bars, energy powder and shakes - bring your own as per what works best for you and your tummy!
- Bike hire (we recommend you bring your own)
Aim to arrive at the Maldron Hotel at Belfast International Airport (5 mins walk from the terminal) by mid-afternoon on the first date of the advertised tour. We will have briefing and bike preparation that evening. The hotel restaurant will be open for food and drinks (not included in price). The next morning we transport you, your bike and your belongings to Newcastle, County Down where we begin cycling.
We spend two fantastic days following carefully planned routes in the Mourne Mountains. The second cycling day is the most challenging of the tour. But don’t worry, our SAG / Support wagon will be on call if you need assistance of any kind! We cycle the Silent Valley and Spelga Damn as well as the pretty small towns of Rostrevor and Castlewellan.
Next we head north through a number of small fishing villages including Ardglass then on through the town of Downpatrick, the home of St. Patrick’s grave. We take the ferry through ‘the Narrows’ at the mouth of Strangford Lough to the village of Portaferry on the other side.
The next day we cycle the quiet roads of the Ards Peninsula with several stunning lough views which change before your eyes as the tides empty and fill the lough. This area is renowned for its wild habitats, hundreds of small islands and rich bird life.
We finish in the picturesque coastal town of Bangor with its large marina, beaches and coastal walks. The next morning we do a coach transfer to the west and cycle north to Limavady through the beautiful Sperrin Mountain range and uplands. We stay in a beautiful hotel with spa and golf course.
The next day takes us to Ballycastle – a splendid village right on the coast. Our route takes us via the Giant’s Causeway and through the Dark Hedges - made famous as the King’s Road in Game of Thrones.
Then it’s on to the Causeway Coast Road and Glens of Antrim and a night in the village of Carnlough by the sea. We then pedal further south and finish at Carrickfergus with its imposing medieval castle just north of Belfast. You will then be transferred to the Airport or the city of Belfast. You may choose to add on a night or two and explore this lively, forward-thinking city before leaving for home.
The daily itinerary is shown below. The daily distance cycled is 35 to 50 miles:
- Day One - Arrival Day (no cycling) - Arrive and overnight in Belfast
- Day Two - Transfer to Mournes area - cycle Analong / Silent Valley / Bryansford
- Day Three - Mournes area - Spelga Damn / Rostrevor / Castlewellan
- Day Four - Strangford area - County Down - Fishing Villages
- Day Five - Ards Penninsula - Ards Peninsula and Strangford Lough
- Day Six - Coach to the west and then cycle the Sperrin Uplands
- Day Seven - Causeway Coast to Ballycastle - North Coast / Dunluce Castle
- Day Eight - Causeway Coast and Glens Area - Giant's Causeway / Antrim Coast Road
- Day Nine - Coast road to Carrickfergus. Then coach transfer to Belfast International Airport or the lively city of Belfast. Arrival time at airport estimated to be 5pm
Getting to the Start
Our meeting point at the start is the 'Maldron Hotel' at the Belfast International Airport from at 4pm. The Maldron Hotel is 5 minutes’ walk from the Belfast International Airport terminal. We prepare our bikes and then spend the night in the Maldron Hotel. We travel down to Newcastle and begin cycling the next morning.
Departing at the End
After the finish, our setdown point is the Maldron Hotel at Belfast International Airport. Due to the uncertainty of finish times, we discourage you from booking onward flights on the finish evening. Instead you may wish to book into the Maldron Hotel. This overnight isn't required by everyone and therefore is not included in the tour price. You will need to make any necessary bookings yourself. Your bike box / bag will be taken to your set-down point where you can then repack your bike at your leisure.